Your to-do list always seems to have some kind of home maintenance project on it, especially when a new season begins. Between your pool days and backyard BBQs, make sure you work consistently on the upkeep of your home. Not sure where to start? Luckily, we’re here to help.
- Check the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in your home. It’s recommended that you do this once a month, so be sure you’re always putting this at the top of your checklist.
- Prep your air conditioner. The sweltering heat means that your A/C and fans are going to be working hard to keep you cool. Be sure you keep units clean and switch out the filters once a month in order to make sure there’s no disastrous break down and that they’re operating at peak performance during the few months you need them.
- Keep your grill clean. It may have been months since the last time you fired up the outdoor cooker for burgers and steaks, so give it a deep cleaning. The burnt residue of last year’s forgotten hot dogs won’t improve the flavor of this year’s hot dogs.
- Give yourself a porch worth perching on this summer. Dirt and debris can accumulate on your porch, especially after a harsh winter. Sweeping and mopping your porch can do a lot to refresh the atmosphere and make it the perfect place to enjoy those summer evenings.
- Detail your deck. It’s important to hammer in any nails that are coming up and could cause someone to trip. Check for rotting and see if it might be time to reseal it.
- So mulch to do for your garden. Mulch keeps weeds down and can help your plants retain the moisture that the summer sun tries to take from them. You should also find time to get rid of the dead foliage and let your plants focus their energy on the healthy parts of the garden that are trying to bloom. Train your garden for the hot and dry days by setting up a new watering schedule. Water a few times a week with more water than you usually add rather than watering them lightly every day. It helps promote strong and deep roots.
We hope this summer checklist won’t interfere with any of your plans and will make your house the hub for all the season’s best get-togethers. If you or a loved one are looking for a new neighborhood that offers everything you need for a fun family summer, we’re here to help you find that dream home!