Feel those refreshing lower temperatures? Fall is on its way! Here’s how to get your rental property ready for cooler weather. Want a printable pdf? Click here.
- Clean gaps between deck boards, especially above joists.
- Check caulking and weather strips around doors and windows.
- Trim or remove plantings around foundation. Leave a minimum of one foot of clear space between plantings and foundation.
- Test Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt (GFCI) receptacles and GFCI circuit breakers.
- Service kitchen disposal by grinding several cups of ice cubes.
- Examine, repair, and replace caulk and grout around sinks, tubs, and showers.
- Clean fire extinguisher. Refill or replace as needed.
- Have your HVAC serviced by a qualified technician.
- Clean kitchen exhaust fan filters.
- Check driveway for cracks. Fill cracks and reseal as needed.
- Test smoke detectors. Replace batteries as needed.
- Check septic system drain field for flooding. Drain approximately two gallons from water heater to eliminate sediment.
- Pass a lit candle around doors and windows to check for drafts. Weather strip as necessary.
- Examine chimney. Clean flue, and repair as needed.
Have questions about property management or residential real estate investments? Contact me anytime: (512) 721-1094. I’m always here for you.